View Single Post
Old 06-13-2016, 08:03 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by faithfool View Post
This is the important part. For my WAG, I do believe money (or something equivalent) changed hands. Because I simply cannot fathom a judge having all that damning information at their fingers tips and then sentencing that prick the way he did, all the while knowing the results would end up vilified on the national stage.
First of all, the judge would not necessarily known in advance that he would be "vilified on the national stage." There are hundreds of criminal sentencing hearings every day. How many of them are vilified on the national stage? Internet outrage tends to be random.

Second, by insisting that this must be caused by some sort of individual corruption completely lets off the hook the actually societal problem that this illustrates—that we live in a culture that goes easy on rapists and we live in a culture that goes easy on white people and we live in a culture that goes easy on rich people.

That's the problem here and that's what people are justifiably outraged about. Insisting that it has to have happened because the judge took a bribe is basically dismissing the actual social context of this whole incident.