View Single Post
Old 07-25-2019, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airbeck View Post
But cutting the social safety net will directly hurt these kids. And that is something those that claim to be for personal responsibility want to happen.
They tend to, I agree. I think their motives fall into a couple of categories.

1. They social safety net is higher than it needs to be. “Nobody needs to be sitting around, drinking beer and playing PS4 while on welfare. If they can, we are giving too much.”

2. Cutting these programs will force people off of them, and make them take care of themselves and they will end up better off in a “tough love” sort of way.

3. As structured these programs are a disincentive to provide for oneself.

I think 3 is true, but I think the evidence shows that these programs actually work a lot better than we have any right to expect based on how poorly they are often structured.

I think that this is true for two reasons; dealing with the government is such a horrendous unpleasant nightmare that no longer having to do so is a strong incentive to bootstrap oneself (government bureaucracy and red tape as a feature not a bug.). And, I think most people have a sense of personal responsibility and they want to take care of themselves.

I think these programs need to be the size they need to be based on the need that exists, so I’m not intrinsically for cutting or expanding them. I do think they need to be reformed and improved and aligned with economic and psychological incentives to success.

Most importantly, I think the schooling we provide the underprivileged children of this country is one of our worst sins as a society, and that needs to be fixed.