View Single Post
Old 08-06-2019, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max S. View Post
I think you've got it all wrong. Laplace's demon was not motivated by theism, as he was evidently a deist.

~Max
I did a quick google of Laplace's Demon, and I don't see how the Demon refutes any sort of free will except the nonsensical kind. Laplace's Demon argues that if the universe operates deterministically then all outcomes are predictable if sufficient knowledge is available. And I agree. I think that people are fully deterministic, and that they would be fully predictable if a Demon (like, say, God) had full knowledge of literally everything about the present state of the universe.

The thing is, though, I don't consider that to be a problem. Because, like I said, people manifestly make decisions based on preference. If you offer me choice between eating a fresh strawberry or a fresh ghost pepper, I will pick the strawberry 100% of the time. My decisions can be predicted if you know me well. But that doesn't mean I'm not making decisions freely - only a complete idiot would say that free will means that your own preferences aren't included in your decision process.

Just because your will is predictable doesn't mean it isn't free.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinsdale View Post
So neither the word "choice" nor "preferences" implies any volition? The preferences are preloaded into the machine, and the choice is merely a switch flipping predictability IRT input?
Define "volition", please. M-W defines it as "the power of choosing or determining". based on that, the word "choice" axiomatically implies volition.