View Single Post
Old 08-07-2019, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan Ekers View Post
Only in the sense of being indistinguishable in practice, like a computer-generated pseudorandom sequence being indistinguishable from a million dice-rolls. I'm not using the complexity of the brain to prove free will, I just argue that the complexity of the brain (relative to our current understanding of its mechanics and probably our future understanding for at least the next several decades) means we may as well act as if it operates by free will.

Even this is slipping away from us, with computer systems becoming sufficiently complex that no human can grasp how they overall work. (reference: CGP Grey, "How Machines Learn")

I think at that point, "free will" as a concept will probably be abandoned. Arguably, humanity will have to do this at some point to ensure its long-term survival, since without some significant tinkering with human instinct, future technology will empower psychopaths to kill millions the way contemporary psychopaths use modern firearms to kill dozens.
I think we will reach a turning point in our social development when people no longer feel "icky" over using biometrics to identify potential sociopaths so that they can either be fixed or isolated from others. When society makes that shift, that will indicate we have collectively let go of the primitive idea that sociopaths are simply people who have just chosen to be bad for badness' sake. Whether posters here want to admit it or not, that is what the free will connotes to most people.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk