View Single Post
Old 12-28-2017, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfpup View Post
Whether cognitive processes are computational is a very controversial area,
No they aren't. Can directly cite some MIT papers on this subject but I'm going to ask you point blank to see if you're actually just bullshitting yourself.

What signals do axons carry from one place to another? Do they vary in amplitude? Do they vary in time? Is there such a thing as "infinite resolution" in a noisy analog system or not?

If a system has finite resolution, does that mean or not mean a digital equivalent exists?

If you have a digital system that produces the same truth table as another digital system, can you say those systems are functionally the same?

If a digital system has higher discrete resolution than an analog system, and produces the same outputs as the analog system to within the effective resolution allowed by noise, can you say those systems are functionally the same?

You should be able to answer these questions. Once you answer them all, you will either (a) concede that I'm right, the brain's a computational system that it is possible to emulate to the same effective resolution as the real system. (b) have some novel insight that you can share with me as to why (a) isn't true.

It actually turns out that this is a well established area of science. Those experts...some of whom have high credentials...who claim otherwise are just wrong, in the same way all the scientists arguing against relativity were just wrong. You'll see. (or refuse to do the work like Tripler)

Last edited by SamuelA; 12-28-2017 at 05:51 PM.