View Single Post
Old 09-13-2019, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamuelA View Post
So you'd be buying a 3 year old car with 40k miles on it for less than the Kia. Is a Toyota with 40k on it better than a new Kia? Absolutely. The reason is superior engineering - the design of the Toyota is going to have far more reliable components in it, and far more refinements. Even though at 40k miles there will be some worn parts that will need replacing a little sooner than with a new Kia (brake pads, struts, maybe tires), once you replace those you're in a far better situation than with a car with a less good design.
This is kind of a load of hogwash. The 2020 Kia Soul is a brand new platform, the 2016 Rav4 was introduced in 2012. There's 8 years of technology, safety, and reliability improvements in that Kia. It gets 27/33 mpg ratings versus 23/30 for the Toyota. I'm not a fan of buying new cars either, but it's silly to ignore the benefits of 8 years of tech.

I've borrowed a saying from Willie Keeler (via auto journalist Sajeev Mehta), which is "Hit 'em where they ain't." I bought my first Kia in 2008, it was a 2006 Kia Sedona which was light years ahead of the 2005 Kia Sedona in terms of technology and refinement. It was 80% as good as a Honda for 40% of the price, because nobody else wanted to toss the dice on the Kia nameplate. I just replaced that car after 11 years of faithful service with a 2017 Sedona, which is 95% as good as a Honda at 80% of the price. If you buy the car at the top of the reliability ratings, you're competing with everyone else who has a consumer reports subscription and doesn't want to think too hard about value.

Kia isn't a third world company anymore, you should check them out. It's a world class company and you can still find some bargains with a Kia badge, but don't expect that to last for long. At the rate they're improving, the next Kia might be 110% as good as a Honda for 120% of the price.

Last edited by steronz; 09-13-2019 at 09:23 PM.