View Single Post
Old 07-10-2019, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sauron View Post
Actually, no. Ariel is the star of the show, no doubt, but again, Disney has spent hundreds of thousands of dollars, if not millions, marketing these specific characters for decades and, as I noted, they just launched a new merchandising campaign to celebrate the movie's 30th anniversary. To change the appearance of some pretty iconic characters for no discernable reason seems tone-deaf to me.
No more tone-deaf than redoing the entire movie and just substituting cartoons with live actors. If you're going to rehash something, it makes perfect sense to put a new spin on it. Not trying to make the characters match 100% with cartoon likeness is the spin here.

New songs from Lin-Manuel Miranda also transforms the movie into something else. Disney will make a killing just on the music sales alone. Their merchandising concerns are not a problem at all.

Quote:
I wasn't aware of a multi-racial rendering of Cinderella, and as a result I have no strong opinion. I will say (although I have no hard data to back this up) that I'd bet Disney has spent more in the last 30 years in marketing merchandise on Ariel than they have on Cinderella.
I seriously doubt Disney hasn't studied market conditions and determined this will make a bigger splash than, say, the live action version of Beauty and the Beast.