View Single Post
Old 07-10-2019, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sauron View Post
This decision to change Ariel's race puzzles me.

Granted, the original movie is 30 years old, but for those of you who think The Little Mermaid isn't a fixture for girls today, you're waaaay off base. Disney has spent millions upon millions of dollars over the past 30 years marketing the "old" version of Ariel in various ways, and that hasn't really slowed down much recently; in fact, Disney has just launched a new line of Ariel-themed merchandise to commemorate the film's 30th anniversary.

To change the physical appearance of the character now seems short-sighted, based on the massive investment they've made in her. It would be akin to making Mickey Mouse orange. (I realize Mickey is far more ubiquitous than Ariel, but you get my drift.)
There's no actor that looks exactly like the cartoon version of Ariel. They cast a slim and attractive young woman (just like the cartoon) -- it's only our society and culture that singles out race as somehow a MAJOR difference in appearance. There's no legitimate non-cultural reason that race and skin tone should be any more significant than height, or build, or eye color, or hair color/texture, etc.