View Single Post
Old 07-10-2019, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sauron View Post
Then why was Will Smith as the Genie blue-toned for at least part of the recent Aladdin remake?

I think it's because the Genie character, as created and marketed by Disney, was blue in the original cartoon (and in subsequent cartoons). His appearance was a significant portion of his "cultural" identity (i.e., how we as a moviegoing culture perceived him). Disney could've just let him be Will Smith as "a" genie, but when he was the character "Genie" for Aladdin, he was blue (for a time, anyway; as I understand it, he didn't stay blue throughout the movie).

As you (and others) have pointed out, I'm sure Disney has done marketing studies and focus groups about this change to the Ariel character. And maybe all their data is correct, and this won't matter one bit. Maybe the live-action remake of The Little Mermaid will be the highest-grossing movie in the history of cinema solely because of this change.

Of course, Coca-Cola had marketing studies out the wazoo saying New Coke was what people wanted back in the mid-80s, too, and that didn't turn out so well.

My point is, messing with an icon for no salient reason doesn't always work.
Genies are blue (apparently). That's an intrinsic part of genies, I suppose.

Mermaids aren't white. They're mermaids. Being white isn't an intrinsic part of mermaids -- having a fish tail for legs is.