View Single Post
Old 03-06-2011, 03:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruadh View Post
Some of them considered themselves to be Serbs. My ex's father was from a family that had been in Macedonia for as long as any of them knew, but they had always considered themselves Serbs rather than Macedonians.
Out of curiosity, where were they from in Macedonia? In eastern Macedonia, the language blends almost into Serbian and I found communicating to be a lot more difficult than it was in Skopje.

I don't have any insight, I'm just curious because you know I like languages and I find the south Slavic language continuum to be really interesting.

BTW, anecdotally, I worked in an English language summer camp for high school aged kids for a couple weeks in the summer of 2007 in Bulgaria and for some reason a TON of my students were from Montenegro. Montenegro had only been independent for a little over a year at the time and the kids were INSANELY patriotic. When we went on outings they would chant "Cherna Gora Cherna Gora!" just walking around. (Cherna Gora = Serbian for Montenegro.) I have seriously never seen anyone just so fucking excited about their country. But at the same time, they all agreed that their language was Serbian, and they seemed to get on perfectly well with the Serbian kids at the camp.