View Single Post
Old 02-09-2012, 10:37 AM
Charter Member

Argh. I hate how busy I am at work - I love participating in this type of discussion.

- Fender did try to trademark or otherwise protect the Strat shape a few years ago and it fell through because they couldn't demonstrate proprietary control over the past 50+ years - same way aspirin transitioned from brand to generic word.

- Gibson tried to sue PRS about their SC 245 guitar which is basically PRS' Les Paul and lost.

Of the modern Fenders, Made in Mexico's (MIM's) represent great values - as I have stated previously, 6 - 7 out of 10 you try are likely to be worth checking out. With the Squiers I have tried, it really varies based on country of production, etc., but you can still find good ones, but at a much lower ratio - but worth checking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakester
Leo Fender wasn't a genius, but he invented a lot of guitar-related things that worked really well. He sold his namesake company in 1965, and anything made by the original Fender company commands a huge premium because, basically, people believe that Leo Fender sprinkled magic fairy dust on every instrument that came out of his factory.
Depends on how you define genius; I hear arguments that Steve Jobs invented very little; his genius was in the taking of what was out there and editing it into a clearly-defined product. In some ways, that is the next level of genius - making the innovative become practical. That is Leo Fender to me in the world of solidbody guitars and tube amps...

As for the relative value of vintage guitars - yeah, given the golden period we are in of guitar construction, I have found it hard to justify big $$ in vintage solidbodies; I love my homebrew parts-o-casters more than most vintage gear I play. But whatever works...