View Single Post
Old 07-24-2019, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrenching Spanners View Post
An over-generous social safety net is bad. Societal gross value is maximised when everyone in society is contributing to society by being productive citizens. Some people are naturally less productive and some people are unable to be productive. The issue is when the less-productive claim to be unable to be productive, and that's accepted. That issue is furthered when people take advantage of the social safety net, and also the black market for cheap labour or benefit resources such as housing.
I am uncertain about most of the statements in this paragraph. Even taken at face value, I'm not sure that an "over-generous social safety net" has ever been seen on the face of the earth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrenching Spanners View Post
Can you cite an actual example of a coal miner refusing to train for a modern well-paying 21st century job because he preferred coal mining?
I'm not sure that "a 21st century economy" means that there's "a modern well-paying 21st century job" for everyone. From what I hear of the current economy, it probably would involve becoming a farmhand, out picking in the fields, for subsistence wages.

That would probably help the farmers out too.