View Single Post
Old 08-06-2019, 11:14 AM

Given that definition of free will I would say free will does exist. But only because it doesn't seem like physics is deterministic. Now to be transparent I'm not expert on the subject but it's my understanding that at a quantum mechanical scale this become probabilistic. So even with perfect information the laws of physics cannot tell exactly what happens next.

But that's not really what I think of free will being. I think of it being more as 'is your life on rails'. IE If some super-super-computer knew everything about the universe(I don't know what this would really mean) could it predict every decision you'd make? But this kind of gets to the core of how I really feel about free will. I think the concept of free will is ill formed and is meaningless. If something can predict what I would do based on all the information about me does that really mean I didn't have a choice? Or that the other thing understands me so well it can know how I would respond. If my decision making process is consistent, then if you know enough about me you would know how I would respond.

I have a little difficulty expressing the way I see it so maybe an example is easier. Imagine we believe in free will. If have a universe with a person in it who makes a series of decisions in their life. Then I duplicate that universe exactly. Would that person make the same decisions as the first one? Does that mean that the first one had free will but the second didn't? What if they were happening simultaneously? Who has the free will?

I don't know. It seems sort of meaningless to me unless free will gets much more strictly defined.

To answer the question more directly. I believe with sufficient knowledge and computational power you could predict with very high certainty the rest of my life and every decision I'd make.