View Single Post
Old 06-18-2019, 12:43 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Left Hand of Dorkness View Post
Society exists. That doesn't mean stories are immutable.

A black Superman could 100% work. You'd have to make some decisions:
-Which is more important, a Superman that lives in an America with the same history as real-world America, or a Superman that doesn't face racism?
-Which is more important, that Superman has a white adoptive family, or that Superman has an adoptive family that looks sort of like him?

Any of the answers you come up with could be really interesting. Black Spiderman 100% worked, and it worked by setting the character in a society that has some racism, but not making that racism the focal point of the story. They could equally have set the movie in an alt-New York where racism had never existed (or where it functioned in a way that didn't impact multiracial kids), but that wasn't the choice they made.

It's great seeing authors make cool new choices, especially when they do so in a way that opens up the kinds of people that make it to the big screen as big heroes.
Of course. However the whole thing becomes a pretense when you say ďThis is a list of characters who could never be played by an actor who is X,Y, or Z category because of all these other decisions Iíve made about the piece that are really, seriously set in stone because I say so. Itís just an unavoidable reality that X, Y, and Z category actors are unsuited for a vast majority of roles, especially leading ones. Nothing can be done about it.Ē

The answers to the objections are generally of two types, and both might be applicableó(1) what youíre calling an impediment isnít really an impediment and you can change the race or gender or sex of the actor and still have your story (2) what youíre calling an impediment results from a decision you made, one that can be changed, so donít tell me thatís immutable.