View Single Post
Old 05-12-2017, 05:06 PM
Shagnasty Shagnasty is offline
Charter Member
Join Date: May 2000
Posts: 27,240
Originally Posted by Atamasama View Post
I'll add, "tine" dates back to the 12th century per Merriam-Webster while "prong" goes back to the 15th so "tine" is centuries older, if that helps.
Oh, so that is what the youngsters call them now.

I am from the Deep South and live in New England. I know what tines are and almost always have to the best of my memory. I think most Americans do. What else are you going to call them should the rare need arise? Those pointy sticks of metal? Canadian and American English aren't that different. The OP probably just ran across some Canadians with a less than stellar English vocabulary.

Last edited by Shagnasty; 05-12-2017 at 05:09 PM.