View Single Post
Old 10-12-2014, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steophan View Post
You have an interesting idea of "executed". I wouldn't use it for someone who gets killed because they threaten police - who have a warrant - with a shotgun. Darwin award contender right there.
Congratulations for begging the very question that is at the heart of this issue: whether the homeowner even knew about the warrant. If you assume that the homeowner was informed of the warrant and had an opportunity to comply with the cops, then your scenario might make sense, but this is precisely the situation that is being contested by the man's family and his lawyer. While they might have some motivation to lie, the fact that this warrant was executed on the word of a known thief who was found with a personal quantity of meth, and then claimed that he found the meth while commiting his crime, speaks volumes for the perspicacity and analytical abilities of the cops in question. Are they friends of yours?

The problem with a warrant is that, for a civilian to accede to the conditions of the warrant, he has to be aware of its existence. I don't know about you, but if armed and camouflaged men kick in my door in the middle of the night, the first thing that would come to mind probably isn't, "They must have a warrant, so i'll let them go about their business." This is especially the case because i know that i haven't done anything that would require the police to investigate me in the first place. As the story notes, the police found no evidence of any contraband at the house of the man they gunned down. I guess he must have kept ALL of his meth in the exact place where the thief found it, right?

Last edited by mhendo; 10-12-2014 at 02:31 PM.