View Single Post
Old 04-16-2018, 01:38 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTFirefly View Post
Both of us experienced the same deal where parents and all expect that you will have figured out by then what to do next, but really almost nothing at college back then gave you any clue.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derleth View Post
This is because four-year colleges aren't trade schools. <snip> they don't apprentice you out to a master, the way medical school, for example, does, and so they don't route you to an employer. Not their job, not what they were originally designed to do.
Oh, no question about it. But one of the things I was saying in that post was that AFAICT there was a time, not that long before my sister and I graduated, when that was not a big problem for the grads: that there was a substantially greater demand for than supply of college grads. If you couldn't figure out right away what you wanted to be, you could still fall into something pretty remunerative fairly easily.

The point is, that's the world my parents had inhabited, and that's the world the people running the colleges back in the 1970s had graduated into. The key was to graduate from college; the rest would sort itself out. That was the implicit message from them to us, but by the time we graduated, it was outdated. Nobody was going to hire you just for having a B.A. or B.S. degree; you needed to give them a better reason than just that.

Four year colleges aren't trade schools, and I'm not saying they should become that. But as long as they are what they are, there has to be something in place - maybe on the side, in parallel, whatever - happening to help the student figure out what she's going to do when she graduates, and has to give somebody a reason to hire her.