View Single Post
Old 10-15-2018, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iiandyiiii View Post
I'm not fully convinced of anything by either study --
Really?

because you seemed pretty convinced when you cited the pro-publica article.

Quote:
two studies, with different results, demand further investigation.
What pro-publica did was not a study. Its not really a study any more than what I did in that post with the math was a study. They engaged in simple division and multiplication, not a study.

Quote:
All of your numbers here are uncited (and I found your earlier math explanation highly confusing), so I'm responding as if they are accurate for the purposes of this discussion, though I certainly would not vouch for them without further explanation. In my understanding, the ProPublica Risk Ratio calculation is valid and provides a reasonable level of confidence -- 95% that the real ratio is somewhere between 10 and 40, based on a solid exercise in statistical analysis.
Where do you get the "a solid exercise of statistical analysis"? The one statistician they were relying on recanted.

Quote:
I don't offer the ProPublica report as "You are WRONG!", but rather "here is conflicting data". And this data is not easy to come by -- most shootings aren't recorded in this manner and made available to analyze.
Pro Publica didn't use any new data.

So on the one hand, you have an actual study by an award winning Harvard economist. And another study by Michigan State university. Both peer reviewed and analytical. And on the other hand you have an exercise in simple arithmetic that pro-publica calls a study. Yeah, both sides are equal here.

Quote:
My overall opinion on law enforcement treatment of black people is based on many, many pieces of data -- the most prominent of which is the polling that shows that 50% of black people report personal mistreatment by law enforcement.
And both studies show that you are correct that police engage in more harassment against blacks than whites. But they don't kill them disproportionately. Not saying that everything is peachy keen as long as cops aren't killing blacks but the discrimination we see in law enforcement is not quite as fatal as you have been led to believe.