View Single Post
Old 12-03-2014, 03:29 PM

Fury Open Spoilers

Fury (2014) - http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2713180

Fury was rated 8.0 by IMDB. That is an extremely high rating. I can't remember the last time I disagreed with such a high rating. But, I'm afraid I just didn't enjoy Fury at all.

I can understand why many people enjoyed it as a pure violent War movie. Brad Pitt is highly skilled at producing or starring in ultra-violent movies and he was listed as one of the Exec Producers. If you recall, he also produced Inglorious Basterds - an extremely ultra-violent war film.

Inglourious Basterds (2009) - http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0361748/...nm_flmg_act_15

That film was rated 8.3 and I enjoyed it very much. The reason was that IMHO, Inglourious Basterds was a "complete" story. It contained several plot elements and took us through the full story.

It seems to me that Fury
SPOILER:
contains only two real locations. The first location is the inside of a German house that Brad enters with the newcomer to his tank crew.

The second location is Brad's tank (named "Fury"). For the most part, Brad and his crew remained in Fury during the entire "fight to the death" sequence where Brad and his crew fought against approx 200 to 300 German soldiers.

The audience sees that the Germans are armed with maybe 20 to 30 weapons that were the German equivalent to the American Bazooka.

I'm guessing that most of those soldiers were SS. I'm not sure why, but I get a strong feeling the film maker wants the audience to believe most of those Nazis were SS. I'm also guessing Brad's crew was outnumbered approx 50 to 1. Doesn't it seem highly unlikely that 5 or 6 soldiers stuck inside an American tank would survive a fight to the death with 200 to 300 German soldiers?

Some of the Nazis were armed with the German equivalent to the American Bazooka. I think the Germans called their weapon a "Panzerfaust". It seems overwhelmingly improbable the Americans could ever believe they had a chance to win that fight.

[spoiler]
When it comes to the film's action, Fury was very well done. However, As soon as I saw the opening screen, and Brad
SPOILER:
rides into view on a white horse and the camera spends a very, very long time focused on Brad riding into view, I groaned to myself and thought, "Oh no! Brad has finally fallen for his own hype and self-image of the lone hero on the white horse. How old is that image? Seems to me, it's hundreds of years old. The lone hero on the white horse. I'm sorry. But, that was just kind of sickening.

Sure enough, one way or another, much of the rest of the film depicts Brad, the lone hero, slugging it out with the evil Nazis until the bitter end. The action was good. But the story was so similar to one of Stallone's sickening movies that seems to say, "I'm the lone hero who will win in the end. Just watch me!" I'm very sorry to say this, but for me, this movie was just kind of sickening.

I'm sorry, but I just couldn't go for this same plot line again. I've seen it so many times that I just have to say, "What a shame, that a great actor like Brad who has produced so many excellent films, now seems to have fallen for his own hype.