View Single Post
Old 12-11-2014, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chefguy View Post
Last night we watched the 1945 noir "Detour", with actors you never heard of either before or after that film was made. It would have been fine except for the scenery chewing.
When you complain about the "scenery chewing", I'm not exactly sure I know what that means. But I have a strong recollection of that film as being one of the worst "noir" movies I had ever seen.

I found one definition of "scenery chewing" as follows:

http://www.theatrecrafts.com/glossar...hescenery.html

From the Maven's Word of the Day at Random House page, written by Carol Braham

Chew (up the) scenery means 'to act melodramatically; overact'. Usually, it's in the context of a play or movie, but it can refer to an aunt of yours who is a frustrated actress. The connotation, either positive or negative, depends on whether the overacting is appropriate to the role or occasion. Here's a recent review from the Topeka Capital-Journal: "Jeff Montague was surely Captain Hook in another life. He minces and chortles, preens and roars and chews the scenery. He is wonderful. It is the best work I have ever seen him do. It is, most likely, the most fun he has ever had on stage --- and it shows." And here's a review of the 1994 film Interview With a Vampire: "While Tom Cruise chews the scenery as the irredeemably evil vampire Lestat, [Brad] Pitt quietly infuses the picture with a powerful melancholy."