View Single Post
Old 09-18-2018, 11:06 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Left Hand of Dorkness View Post
You think a major part of the problem is that people such as your coworkers--for whom you have tremendous respect--never engage in real discussion with the kinds of people that frequent this board. In you opinion, mostly what we end up with is situations like this where mostly middle class white people, many if not most of whom have never had any legitimate interaction with minorities as a true equal, have conversations with other white people about how bad another class of white people are.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Nylock View Post
I think the word major is an overreach, I would replace it with significant.

I wouldn't say real discussion so much as immersion in african american culture. (I'm fine using African American in this context, but I prefer to use the term black when describing people). I think many people interact, get along with, and have minority friends and neighbors - but that is different than having a high level of daily interaction with a minority group on an equal footing.
Are you serious?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Nylock View Post
I think a major part of the problem is that people such as my coworkers, whom I have tremendous respect for, never engage in real discussion with the kinds of people that frequent this board. Mostly what you end up with is situations like this where mostly middle class white people, many if not most of whom have never had any legitimate interaction with minorities as a true equal, have conversations with other white people about how bad another class of white people are.
(emphasis added).

I mean, I'm glad you're softening your statement; doing so makes it less absurd. But your eyerolling and moaning about how I misunderstood your point is pretty much at your feet in this case.
Quote:
I have some other points, I'll get to them tomorrow and also include the cites, graphs, circumstantial political data etc. that you requested - if I have time.
By all means do so. But if your point is that a significant problem is that some white people don't immerse themselves in African American culture, suddenly we're not so far apart in our views, and I no longer need cites for your claim.

Last edited by Left Hand of Dorkness; 09-18-2018 at 11:08 PM.