View Single Post
Old 07-25-2019, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scylla View Post
Ok. Let me know what they say.
They said, "Bring me back my job."
Quote:

Unemployment is at 3.8% which is generally considered below full employment. According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics there were 6.7 million job openings but only 6.4 million available workers to fill them as of June 18. This is significant because it was the first time in history that this has ever happened.

Since than it has risen to 7.1 million job openings versus 6.2 million in October of 2018.

Right now it’s about the same (7.3 versus 6.4, iirc)

The job market is the strongest and labor is in greater demand than it has ever been.

What you are talking about is not a significant economic issue. In fact, the opposite is the actual problem. I know you are trying to make an emotional plea about the plight of the worker, but the facts make that a tough proposition.
You seem to be missing the mismatch of job openings to available skills. The jobs that are open are not jobs that displaced factory workers can do, not without fairly extensive retraining, retraining that I might point out that is cut under the current administration.

If what you say is true, that anyone can take any of these millions of job openings, then it sounds like you are making a case for immigration.

I am making rational and economic arguments, for what is best for society, the emotional plea is when you complain that it is your hard earned money that is going to support your community.
Quote:

Right. I have an advanced degree and professional credentials in the field of finance. I only minored in economics, but if you say something that confuses me, I can ask one of my economists to clarify it, so, please go ahead and answer my question. I feel confident I can grasp your concept.
Then you should know that talking about the simplicity of a supply/demand graph will fall well short of describing the much more complex issues of labor. Your question of "If it was not a living wage, wouldn’t they go elsewhere, thus limiting supply and driving up price?" is overly simple, and does not even pretend to address the actual issues faced by real people, that people are not a fungible commodity that can fill any job any place any time. You claim to be well versed in finance, given the known fact that people do not go elsewhere to limit supply and drive up the price, what reason would you give? Are they just stubborn, or is it a bit more complicated than you are trying to insinuate?