View Single Post
Old 07-25-2019, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thorny locust View Post
So all those jobs at Walmart, in warehouses, waiting on tables at low-priced restaurants, washing the dishes in the back room, cleaning the floors in the hospital, taking tickets at the movies, running checkout at the grocery store, changing diapers at the daycare, changing sheets at the nursing home, harvesting lettuce, packing tomatoes, and I could go on all week -- all of those jobs are any minute going to start offering all of their workers full time positions with full benefits and enough pay to rent a decent and safe apartment within an hour or so's travel from work that has room for a child or an aged mother or whoever, get clothes and food and toothpaste and bedding and so on for oneself and the dependent and maybe get the cat fed and spayed, pay for whatever transportation's necessary to get back and forth to work and whatever care is needed for the dependent so the worker can show up at work consistently, and cover whatever healthcare the insurance doesn't, and have enough over to save for when something comes up? Because something will come up.
No. Why would you think that would be desirable? (I want a formal apology for the length of that sentence.)

Quote:
Let me know when that happens. Some of the wages have gone up a bit, yes; but not that big a bit. And while you're at it study up on the size of the shock that'll go through the economy as a whole if wages for those jobs do go up that much. Or consider what would happen if all the people doing those jobs stopped doing them, so they could do work that pays better.
Ok. So you see why itís not desirable. At least partly. Why are you asking me this?