View Single Post
Old 10-31-2019, 10:57 PM
Agnatheist
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barack Obama View Post
The moment someone says nuclear disarmament is a silly idea, is the moment you know "we've fucked up".

How many years until we disarm our nukes? 50? 100? 200? Is there an estimated time of nuclear disarmament, would you support a treaty aimed to disarm all nukes across all countries by a certain time period?

How many years until an accident occurs, or until conflict rises and a nation launches another nuke? Do you think we'll reach total disarmament before or after us humans nuke ourselves again?

Edit: So let's say you support the idea of everyone disarming by a certain time period. How do you intend to make that happen? If no one leads the race to nuclear disarmament, there will never be disarmament. The US, will have to be the ones to first reduce their nuclear stockpile, then the rest of the world can follow suit, including Russia and North Korea.
Nuclear disarmament isn't silly, in and of itself. I doubt many in this thread are all fired up about having nuclear weapons. I'm certainly not. I hate the evil things, and would be fine if we all got rid of them. But you have to have a rational plan. You don't just wing a major decision and 'see what happens'. That's rarely a good idea even for an individual, let alone a nation state...let alone a superpower that is part of a web of connections and balances.

Let me give you a timely example of what folks have been trying to explain to you...obviously in vain. Take the situation in Syria. Until recently, the US, despite having a very small force, was the balance point maintaining the status quo in the region. No one could or would go outside of certain parameters because they didn't want to risk the US's wrath. Then, a freaking orange haired monkey decided, hell, let's change the equation and 'see what happens'. Who knew it would cause such chaos and shift the balance so much, causing such a humanitarian crisis?? No one could have predicted that (heavy sarcasm here)!!

What you are suggesting is a LOT worse and a lot more destabilizing. It's, seriously, the kind of silly, stupid shit that TRUMP would do on a whim. It's his level of thought and understanding.

That's what happens when you let rednecks play with anti-matter!