View Single Post
Old 04-25-2018, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneDitka View Post
So you think it's ... what, exactly? A step in the wrong direction? The world was a better place when North Korea was regularly launching missiles over Japan? I think your hatred for Trump has blinded you to reality.
I would say that it is a small step in the right direction that had nothing to do with Trump, and everything to do with Kim's current set of goals, and possibly South Korea's new leader.

I also think that while this could potentially be a great opportunity, it will require very careful negotiations in order to exploit it. In the hands of expert diplomats with a firm understanding of the internal politics, culture and goals of all parties in the vicinity, this could be the start of real progress.

Unfortunately Trump has basically thrown out anyone in the state department who would fit that description. He also has a Dunning Kruger level of confidence in his own negotiation abilities and so will blunder into the negotiations blindly, confident in his powers as world's best deal maker that he can outwit Rocketman. However, Rocketman has been immersed in the politics of the region his whole life, while Trump only recently learned that the Korean war ended in an armistice rather than a peace treaty. It is also important to remember that Trump that Trump's goal isn't to get the best deal for the US, it's to get the best deal for Trump. So he would gladly sell all of the US's influence in the region in exchange for something he can tweet victory about back home.