View Single Post
Old 04-27-2018, 08:00 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneDitka View Post
You didn't answer my question. What is your source?
I think the issue is still ambiguous: I've seen reports that DPRK dropped its demand for U.S. troops withdrawal as a "precondition" for talks on denuclearization (which has obviously happened), and also that it has dropped its demand for withdrawal as a part of a final denuclearization deal.

While the breakthroughs yesterday and today are very good news, let's not kid ourselves about the North Korean position on withdrawal of U.S. troops:

Quote:
But Pyongyang has made similar remarks in the past -- only to subsequently demand such a step -- along with abrogating the bilateral defense treaty and removing the U.S. extended deterrence guarantee.

In 1992, previous leader Kim Jong-il indicated the North would accept having U.S. troops remain in the South, while former U.S. negotiator to the Six Party Talks Robert Gallucci recalled he had been told by his North Korean counterpart in 1994 that “we don’t actually require that the U.S. remove its troops from the South.” During the 2000 inter-Korean summit, Kim Jong-il told South Korean President Kim Dae-jung, “It is desirable that U.S. troops stay as a peacekeeping force in Korea, instead of a hostile force against the North."
https://www.forbes.com/sites/insidea.../#1bcb78644221

Of course, the Republican reaction to these talks is just as puzzling. When Clinton negotiated a deal with North Korea, he was a sucker. When Obama negotiated a deal with Iran, he was a sucker. When Moon negotiates a nascent deal with North Korea, OMG TRUMP WINS!!! Not to mention that Trump just hired a National Security Adviser who could not be further from the "let's use diplomacy with North Korea" camp.