View Single Post
Old 05-29-2019, 03:32 PM

Great thread, and some great instances so far. I will try to list some favorites without repeating any.

- Warren Zevon's "UUNHH!" in the coda of "Lawyers, Guns and Money," after the second refrain.
- Steve Winwood's organ playing under the final chorus of "Voodoo Child" (12:12). There's also a moment (around 5:12 in) when Jimi pulls what was probably the widest whammy-bar bend anyone had done up to that point.
- The moment in XTC's "Dear Madam Barnum" when the 12-string guitar enters on the second verse.
- Very subtle thing, but in the stereo mix of the Beatles' "Every Little Thing," during the intro, in the left channel, you can hear John softly tapping the body of his acoustic, counting himself in for his entrance.
- Just before the sax coda on "That Train Don't Stop Here Anymore" by Los Lobos, Cesar Rosas mutters a quick "Shucks!"
- Keith Moon's off-mic (but still audible) roar before he comes barreling back in on "Substitute."
- The wacky, four-note piano intro to "The Word" (Beatles again)
- There's a particular chord progression in the bridge of Elvis Costello's "New Amsterdam" when it goes Em > A > E. Going from a minor to a major so deftly just knocks me out.
- In the version of "Million Miles Away" from Irish Tour '74, Rory Gallagher hits a harmonic, then bends the string behind the nut to make it wobble. Such a cool little thing.

There are more, but I gotta get back to work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labtrash View Post
I listen for "squeaks" from the re-positioning of the guitarist's fingers. Is there a musical term for this?

Notable squeaky songs would be Wish You Were Here, and Every Breath You Take. Lots more, but those are two of my favorites.
I was told that in recording studio jargon, these are called "mice." Syd Barrett's solo output is littered with them, and the "Wish You Were Here" intro is a deliberate evocation of Syd's style.

Last edited by Nonsuch; 05-29-2019 at 03:33 PM. Reason: clarity