View Single Post
Old 06-19-2014, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FordTaurusSHO94 View Post
The late 90s was when they stopped telling stories in the ring. That's why I hated the Attitude Era. The New Generation had people like Shawn Michaels and Bret Hart tearing down the house in the ring. The AE changed it so they would give a 30 minute promo and then a 5 minute match.
I think this is a repeat of arguments I had on Internet wrestling discussion groups back in the AE, which I loved. I have to disagree, most of the top talent in the AE were very good at telling a story in the ring. SCSA, Mick, Rock, HHH, Undertaker, Kane.

Probably the worst major stars I can think of would be the New Age Outlaws who both couldn't really wrestle but were big because of their participation in the outlandish D-X promos. But to me the AE includes Bret and Shawn, Bret after he left for WCW basically was no longer a major force in wrestling because WCW didn't use him properly, but his feud with Austin produced great matches and I view those as the earliest AE matches. Shawn was involved in the first year or so of the AE before he had to go into (temporary) retirement due to his back injuries.

I do think if you give Austin's matches a fair reviewing (and I've watched a few on the WWE Network), Austin did very well in the ring when he converted to his brawling style. I'll admit to having a preference for guys that do more skilled wrestling work (like Shawn or Bret--or like Austin did pre-neck injury or in WCW) but Austin wasn't just a repetitive brawler, he was actually stringing together things in a way that made sense and told a story--something Hogan basically has never done.

To me the worst "stars" were all in WCW, Goldberg had no business being in a wrestling ring. I think he injured like 10 guys during his "streak" and later ended Bret's career because he couldn't deliver a simple kick without hurting someone. Nash in WCW was a pure promo guy that honestly had very bad matches (I liked Nash as a big man as Diesel but I think he either got lazy in the ring or wasn't in the shape he was in WWE in WCW.) Hogan was a joke in the ring for WCW, Luger was awful. The only top card wrestlers who I felt still put on a good match in WCW were Macho Man and Sting, but they utilized Sting too sparingly on TV for a long time for reasons I've never fully understood--Sting needed to be wrestling matches not hanging out in rafters (maybe he was nursing an injury, I can't remember.)

Anyway, I just have always felt AE had very good in ring work, because all of its stars were basically hungry young guys that knew how to wrestle. WCW was relying too much on old talent that had gotten lazy in the ring and guys like Goldberg that had never been good. WCW did have a ton (more than WWE) talent in the mid and low cards,but WCW didn't care about its undercard at all.

The one real knock I can see against the AE is sometimes on a 3 hour raw you'd lose 60-70 minutes to nonsense segments, back room promos etc. But when they actually were in the ring (and especially at PPVs), I felt AE delivered a good product.

Quote:
The New Generation was bad about having stories for the undercard too. Raw would open with a non-title tag team match, then a decent midcard match, then the current champ wrestling a local jobber. That was how I remember most 1 hour Raw episodes.
Yeah, I would agree with this. Vince Russo became head writer in 1997 and I think one of his hallmarks was making the entire card important. One of the biggest things I think you can say about the AE is all the belts mattered a great deal. The European Championship, IC Title, World Title, etc were all very important. Currently I feel that no title is important in WWE, sadly including the WWE World Heavyweight Championship.