View Single Post
Old 12-07-2018, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heffalump and Roo View Post
My only point is that, regardless of race, there are situations where people might ask someone in their neighborhood that they don't recognize what they're doing there.
Fair enough.

But regardless, better judgment needs to prevail, and if someone is carrying a lethal weapon, then they need to exercise extremely good judgment. Zimmerman was advised by the 911 dispatcher not to pursue Martin, and there's a very good reason for that, which was pretty obvious to the dispatcher but apparently not to the guy who, as it turned out, has put himself in dire financial straits even if not officially convicted. Yes, it was legal for Zimmerman to follow Martin, but that isn't the point as far as I'm concerned.

If someone is in possession of a lethal weapon, if someone possesses lethal force, they have at least a moral/ethical responsibility to exercise good judgment. I don't know if the confrontation by itself is inherently "racist", but the language that Zimmerman used in describing his encounter with Martin ("He's up to no good", "F*cking punk, etc") clearly shows that Zimmerman had some pretty strong biases against Martin. If he had seen Martin peeking through the windows of cars or homes, he might have been justified in being biased. But there's no evidence to suggest anything other than Martin was just an unfamiliar black face walking around in unfamiliar territory.

None of that is to say that Martin was some sort of straight-A student who never found trouble, but that's really immaterial. Martin was killed as a result of circumstances that were wholly preventable by the person who initiated a confrontation while in possession of a lethal weapon. In a just world, there are consequences that must be paid.

Last edited by asahi; 12-07-2018 at 09:59 AM.