View Single Post
Old 02-02-2019, 10:38 AM

Wow, that's quite a list Eva Luna! Puts my efforts to shame. I'm in zone 9B, so I'm actually a little behind schedule. The only vegetables I'm doing for Spring are two tomatoes - Big Beef and Cherokee Purple - and bell peppers. The tomatoes were bought in pots last week and are only about 10" tall now. I have yet to get the peppers. I would love to have some poblanos, but for the last 2-3 years my poblanos have had no 'bite' at all. Is it possible that they cross-pollinate with the bells and don't produce the normal share of capsicum? I didn't think it worked like that.

Almost all of my flowering plants are perennials, but I do put in some annuals here and there. This past week I planted zinnia and marigold seeds in flats and put them out on the patio, so they won't be ready to go in the ground for about a month. I wish I could have spread those seeds on the ground and thinned them as they grew, but there is too much mulch everywhere and the germination rate would go way down. I had already planted some dwarf euryops seeds that were taken from my existing plants last month, but I fear they will not sprout - it's been too long already. I'll probably just do some softwood cuttings from those now.

My biggest concern is when to trim my orange trees. Everybody says to wait until March 1st, but I'm afraid they will bloom before that and cutting them back will destroy a big chunk of the crop. My neighbor's ratty mulberry tree is budding out with new leaves already, one of my gardenia bushes has flower buds, and the hibiscus never stopped blooming(fortunately no freeze this winter). I'm sure the orange trees won't be far behind, so maybe I'll just give it another week and then do the deed. Are there any Dopers on the Gulf Coast with citrus pruning experience?