View Single Post
Old 05-15-2019, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSeid View Post
Maybe an aside but IMHO right off lecturing to and sermonizing to is likely ineffective no matter who does it. Effecting change usual requires active conversations with active listening as part of it. Finger wagging doesn’t usually do much good.

I don't think sermons or lectures require finger-wagging, though. Every day people voluntarily subject themselves to both sermons and lectures, and I doubt this would be the case if finger-wagging was associated with these actitivities.

My parents were (and probably still are) big proponents of corporal punishment. They were not afraid to whip us kids if we stepped out of line whether intentionally or not. They are also big church-goers and love sitting through a well-articulated, passionate sermon. I really wish that the various pastors that had preached to them while I was growing up had occasionally put out a message like, "We sure do whip our kids a lot. Maybe we should stop doing that so much and instead talk to them. Can I get an 'amen'?" That probably would have resonated with my parents a lot more than whatever it was the family counselor we all went to told them.

Last edited by monstro; 05-15-2019 at 02:11 PM.