View Single Post
Old 07-19-2019, 04:32 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royal Nonesutch View Post
Besides the large cylinders, oscypek is sold in little ingots, about the size of a silver dollar, except oblong, about a half-inch thick that are perfect for the grilling treatment that I mentioned.

At every Polish street festival, concert, outdoor market, or other similar gathering, and also on the streets in the cold winter months, there are little carts (something like a NYC hot-dog cart) with small grills selling it with the cranberry puree as a hot snack, usually something like 5 or 6 Zloty ($1.50) for 3 pieces, which in Poland is actually fairly expensive for what it is, but it is apparently a popular item nonetheless.

(It might also be wrapped with bacon, now that I think about it)
Yeah, I've seen the little ones. We always just had the traditional spindle shaped ones. (I thought the little ones had a different name -- it's escaping me right now; legally oscypek must be between 600g and 800g, at least according to the certification authorities. I know all sorts of stuff gets sold as "oscypek," though. For that matter, I have no idea how much of the oscypek I've had from Zakopane is by-the-books oscypek. I know the stuff I've had ranges quite a bit in smokiness and hardness. Most of the stuff I've had is quite hard, firmer than a cheddar, but not quite as dry as a parmesan. But I've also had stuff that was much younger and had, at least to me, a much more pleasant "fresh ewe's milk" flavor to it.)

It would make sense, of course, if serving it on the street or at a restaurant, you'll want to dress it up a bit and not just serve a chunk of cheese. At home, like I said, always cold, just sliced with a meat/deli tray is the only way I've had it.

I do think it would do well grated like a pecorino over pasta, though. Maybe a cacio e pepe type of dish with grated oscypek instead of pecorino. It's odd, as I don't recall ever coming across this cheese being used as a grating cheese, but it seems like it should do well as one for the reasons you stated: it's really salty on its own, but as a salt-and-smoke accent to a dish, along with a bit of ewe-y cheesy funk, I think it would do great.

Last edited by pulykamell; 07-19-2019 at 04:35 PM.