View Single Post
Old 08-13-2016, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SenorBeef View Post
Have you ever been angry when a really stupid movie comes out that's been overhyped, and the reviews come out and say it's bad and not what it promised to be and has all sorts of problems, but people ignore that and go see it anyway due to the hype?
Honestly, no, I can't say that I have.

What if it was up against other movies that had merit and were small projects with similar appeal but higher quality and those movies withered because all the money was going to the super hyped one?

I normally wouldn't care very much, but it's always sad to me to see when advertising/hype completely takes something over. We'd all like for things to be a meritocracy and not simply a battle of marketing budgets. If this game was a $20 game with 30,000 concurrent users on day one - like a lot of other niche indie games with fun ideas like, say, Starbound, Rimworld, Rust, 7 days to die, Don't Starve, etc. it would've been fine.

But instead, Sony's marketing department got ahold of it and suddenly this game that should be a $20 indie title is a full blown $60 title. And despite this it explodes anyway, having one of the biggest launches ever on steam by concurrent numbers, higher than a lot of legit AAA games with broad mass appeal and not that far behind behemoths like Grand Theft Auto 5.

And it's not like it turned out to be great and exactly what everyone wanted. The user ratings are very poor. Features were flat out lied about. Hints that the final stages of the game at the center of the galaxy were going to be this amazing thing that no one should spoil were misleading. It's a technical mess (not just on PC, the damn thing runs on like 50 FOV on PS4 to keep the frame rate acceptable) because despite having an AAA marketing budget and an AAA price and an AAA timeframe to develop the game, no one bothered to hire QA testers and put out AAA quality.

The defenders treat it like it's a $20 niche indie game. Dismissing all the flaws by saying "what did you expect, it's a 15 man development team!" leaving out the part about how a 15 man development team doesn't get to charge $60 for games. They want Terraria/Don't Starve/etc-level acceptance of limitations but GTA-5 level price and launch success.

Quote:
And then we even had 3 days after the console launch to see that it wasn't what it was cracked up to be and it was at least disappointing. And yet after that, we still had a whole lot of people who preordered and kept their preorders. Why?
Because a lot of people, like me, looked at the gameplay footage and said "That still looks fun, I want to play it anyway." And it is, and I'm enjoying it.