C Axx

And with opponents silent, the bidding goes:
1H - 1S (does not promise 5)
3H - 4NT (Blackwood)
5H (2 Aces) - 6D!

Now what? And what is partner holding?
Quote:
Originally Posted by K364 View Post
... Anyway, partner must want to play in hearts and is showing good diamonds... fishing for 7:

S - QJxxxx
H - Ax
D - AKQx
C - x
Quote:
Originally Posted by merrick View Post
K364
... At the table, opener tanked for a very long time and ultimately retreated to his 7-card suit - 6H, which became the final contract.

His partner put down:

S KJTxx
H x
D AKQxxx
C x

I think that's the first time I've seen someone introduce a genuine suit at the 6 level in an uncontested auction.
Biotop was closest, but I think if you read 6D as a two-suiter, your choice is between 6H & 6S, rather than passing partner out with a void in his suit!

Naturally, these being opponents, 6H turned out to be the only makeable slam (I had S Q9xx over the spade bidder and was hoping to double 6S)
Quote:
Originally Posted by amarone View Post
Well, partner has bid this horribly, making it tough to get right. Why on earth has he bid 1S holding a strong hand with 6 diamonds and 5 spades? Better is to start with 2D, planning to bid spades twice, thereby showing the 5-6 distribution. The 3H bid puts the kibosh on this plan. I would still bid spades next (so we have 1H - 2D - 3H - 3S) and over partner's likely 4H bid raise to 5H.
Yeah, introducing your second suit at the 6 level after Blackwood is crazy. The Blackwood bidder should be able to place the contract after the Blackwood response.

But this is a good discussion to have with your partner - what is the meaning of these unusual cue bids after Blackwood?