View Single Post
Old 07-09-2018, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelEmouse View Post
I'm envious of your neat network laying. Mine looks like spaghetti.
It's not all as clean as that! But I'm trying to improve things around the base. One problem with dense layouts like that its that they're hard to cross (no multi-pipe crossers).

Quote:
It turns out that you don't even need a boiler, just crude oil which is close to magma.
Yeah, I kinda discovered this after I built the boiler. Oh well; the insulated tile should cut down on heat loss a bit. And really, the single tiny magma chamber that I used up already should keep me going for a long time (I filled a huge chamber with gas at 25 kg/tile).

Quote:
Transforming more oil into natural gas will probably involve very carefully nibbling at the two tiles left of the magma.
Yeah. Be careful . One advantage of a boiler (even without extra tiles) over just letting a big pool of oil run into the magma is that you don't waste any heat to the unconverted oil. By letting the oil get close to the magma, some of the heat is being lost to the big pool of oil (including oil that will never get converted). If you instead dribble in tiny amounts of oil at a time, you don't run into this problem.

Quote:
Is there a way to activate an automated system whenever there's anything in a pipe? Not a specific element but anything. I'm trying to automate filters and I can hardly use the presence of a specific element in the feeding pipe as trigger since I can't be sure of what will go into the filter (otherwise I wouldn't need a filter).
I don't think you can quite do that--but if the pipe is always full of something, then you can detect the element you want and use a NOT gate to turn on the filter. I.e., to filter out everything but oxygen, then detect that and invert to turn on your filter.

Quote:
A trick I've found useful: If you're going to build a significant amount of ladders or tiles and don't want to have long supply runs, look around the area in which you intend to build for the most common mineral.
This is an excellent tip. It took me a few hundred cycles to discover it! Really, there's usually enough debris laying around that I don't need to mine anything first. Just find the few closest piles and stuff and build with that.