View Single Post
Old 07-11-2018, 04:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Strangelove View Post
Yet again, in solving one problem I've introduced another.

I revamped my oxygen and hydrogen generation system and in the process switched water sources to a steam geyser. Great! Free water and it doesn't mix with my main cistern and kill my crops with heat.

I had it going for a few cycles... and noticed my dupes getting sick. I thought it was because they were exploring some swamp regions without suits, but that wasn't it, and vitamins were only barely helping.

Turns out that my geyser is a massive stew of infection. Some water tiles had germ counts >750,000,000! And the germs were spreading throughout my complex. Oxygen kills them but not at a high enough rate.

I went back to an older save and switched water supplies but it would be nice to use this water source. Not sure how to deal with it, though. Maybe if I pumped the oxygen through a long, twisting chamber before introducing it to my complex would give it enough time for the germs to die--not sure.

Run it through a small reservoir with a liquid tepidizer?

A more elaborate but effective system could involve pumping the water down to a small boiler near magma, have it turn into steam then either pumped directly to your base or used in a steam turbine before being sent to your base.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SenorBeef View Post
My problem has been power generation. I picked all the coal off the map. I have 3 electrolyzers going, but they don't feed a hydrogen generator consistently. Should I scale up my electrolyzer operation?

I have all the oil I could need, but with the manual oil refinery I just can't get it to work. People go down there and twist the crank a few times and come back. Is that the correct behavior? Or is there a way to make them operate it for longer? If I could get them to operate it longer, I could build up a petroleum reserve and generate a reasonable amount of power that way, as well as plastic.
I also have the issue of the Dupe operating the oil refinery for a few seconds then stopping. I've taken to putting the Dupe in an exosuit and locking him inside the oil refinery room.

As for power generation, once you get to the surface, you can use solar panels. Also look at Stranglove and I's discussion of turning crude oil into natural gas from post #164 onward.

Perhaps polluted water + magma boiler + steam turbine could also solve 2 problems at the same time.