View Single Post
Old 04-13-2019, 06:49 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by septimus View Post
Questions about Jacoby 2NT playing 5-card majors.

(1) Does anyone play that that bid is allowed with 3-card support? It seems to me that over 1H, any other bid with, e.g. Ax-AQx-Kxxx-xxxx, just muddies the waters unnecessarily.
I have seen it, but rarely. I do not. With the hand given, you bid 2D then 4H next time. There's no need to bid 4-card suits up the line when you intend to support hearts next, so you should show your better suit.

Quote:
(2) In response to 2NT, opener is supposed to bid 4M, 3NT, 3M with a minimum, above-minimum, or strong hand respectively. My regular partner insists that this is unnecessary precision as to strength and that 3NT should show a 5-3-3-2 suitable for play in No Trump. Do y'all agree with me that he's wrong?
I agree with you. You have used up lots of room with the 2NT bid so to bid 3NT without giving any indication of strength means you get to the 4-level before being able to explore. And how often do you want to play in 3NT when you hold a 5-4 major suit fit?

Quote:
(3) Some advocate that in response to 2NT, opener needs a sound opener (13 hcp OR a good suit) to show his shortness; with 12hcp or less AND a mediocre suit he should bid 4M despite the singleton. This makes sense to me. What do others think? (Replace the 13/12 hcp with 12/11 hcp if you open super-light.)
I posted elsewhere that I think the jump to 4M is a weakness of traditional J2NT responses. I prefer a bid of 3C to show a minimum. Responder then has a means of asking for shortness (3D). However, if not playing that method, I prefer to show shortage if I have it to avoid preempting partner with a 4M bid.

Here is an article on J2NT and alternative responses. https://bridgewinners.com/article/vi...ng-jacoby-2nt/