View Single Post
Old 06-09-2019, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beckdawrek View Post
The lil'wrekkers on a full ride at her University. She makes excellent marks. Deans list, yada, yada, yada. But the girl can't be trusted with $10. I blame myself. I neglected her practical training. She's spoiled rotten.
It's never too late.

And Lesson One of that "neglected practical training" is "Okay, no more handouts*. You plan ahead if you want to do things. And if you don't, you don't drive or eat out... and sure, maybe you have to sit home while your friends go to a music festival. Hell, I did that rather than ask my parents to pay for me.

Maybe she even sets up an automatic withdrawal from her paycheck right into an "Emergency Fund" bank account.

If not for her, do this for her future roommates/husband/partner. I'm so grateful that my wife is a financial adult.

*For everyone here, at the very least, make sure your child knows that your financial bailouts are LOANS. They get much better at handling their own finances if they know they'll have to pay them back.

Our daughter didn't have enough money for grad school and car repairs, so we lent her a couple thousand. She took it upon herself to write up a cute little contract, and she uses Venmo to automatically send us over a hundred each month.