View Single Post
Old 07-15-2019, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gyrate View Post
Coco Gauff, the 15-year-old who knocked Venus Williams out of Wimbledon this year and made it through to the fourth round, said much the same thing. If you're not playing to win, why turn up at all?
Yes, and that attitude brings with it a focus on you and your game, not the opponent and how amazing they are: this is very interesting from Simona Halep, on the back of her crushing of Serena Williams:

Quote:
"The nerves were positive this time. I felt them in the stomach," she said. "I always play well when I have emotions.

"I didn't think at all against who I play. I've always been intimidated a little bit when I faced Serena."

"I decided before the match that I'm going to focus on myself and on the final of Grand Slam, not on her,..."That's why I was able to play my best, to be relaxed, and to be able to be positive and confident against her.

"I'm very sure that was the best match of my life."
(Italics mine)

Basically, what I'm saying is that beating tennis's GOATs is easy, and I am wiser and better than all those physically more gifted athletes who don't have my entirely undemonstrated psychological fortitude.