View Single Post
Old 07-16-2019, 06:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK84 View Post
Serena, Rafa and Djoker. Juicing.
Federer is just fit as hell.
I'm not convinced by the first three, the fact that Federer is a physical freak is clearly true to a certain extent but it seems to be a perfect storm of physical perfection, resistance to injury plus a playing style that puts his body through less trauma.

I was amazed on Sunday. Federer is my favourite sportsman of all time but I thought going to 5 was unlikely. The fact that he did it and was arguably the better player on the day was amazing. If he can still pull out a 5 set, 5 hour marathon against another all-time great at the age of nearly 38 then there is no point retiring. He plays like that and he can still win majors (and entertain us all royally at the same time)
Novak says that he hopes to emulate what Roger is doing but I think he, Rafa and Andy Murray are all far more susceptible to injury and are entering the zone where they may be struck down at the drop of a hat (or drop- shot?)

This is a freakish time. 3 players that are arguably the best 3 ever. All resilient enough to be active for over a decade.
The best of the rest has been Andy Murray by a country mile, someone with the skills and consistency good enough for a double digit major record in any other 15 year period. These are the only four people to have held the No 1. status since Feb 2nd 2004. That is an almost sarcastic degree of dominance.

The chasing group will step up, they always do but we are unlikely to see anything like this ever again. The others aren't bad, this top group are simply that good.