View Single Post
Old 08-08-2019, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebb View Post
One problem I have with games like this, and I think this one is no exception, is that in the process of going through the levels you're building up the skills and the mental language to tackle more difficult problems. That's absolutely what you want to make a great game. But for me, if I step away from it for a period of time, could even be a few hours, I tend to have that knowledge erode. I've been stuck at least once because I didn't remember a very basic thing from ten levels earlier, which I don't think was really supposed to be part of the puzzle, it was a just a symptom of not being able to hold everything in my head at once for a really long period of time.

I had a very similar experience with The Witness -- it was great working out the tricks, but unless you can access them all when you need them it can be frustrating. I'm fully willing to believe this is more of a "me" problem than a general one.
I have that problem with any game that has complex or unusual rules (or control schemes).

In my case, it seems like every time I play Elite: Dangerous, I havenít played in months and need to redo the tutorials.

I started playing Murdered: Soul Suspect again after a long hiatus. I am a bit lost. Iím in the middle of multiple investigations and I have no idea where to go next with them. And I spent a lot of time getting comfortable with all the ghost powers, juggling the real world and spirit world, handling violent spirits, etc. It almost feels like Iím trying to play someone elseís game who is near the end.

I donít think itís you, I think there are certain games you almost need to binge to get through. You can pick up a bike and ride it again naturally, you might not be able to do that with a fighter jet.