View Single Post
Old 08-12-2019, 08:25 PM
Straight Dope Science Advisory Board

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zakalwe View Post
I love Hive! That's become a serious go to when only two people want to play. And it's easy to carry around. Definitely in the keeper category.

I just learned about the game a few months ago. I play against AI on my Android phone, but I'm trying to get some friends interested in killing some time with it so I can play a live human. I've only managed to beat the "medium" difficulty AI so far.

Drat! I left out Realm. That's one of my favorites, right next to Janggi. The game has some unique concepts (creating pieces depending on the result of your move, for example).

Quote:
Originally Posted by HMS Irruncible View Post
Our first game was Catan and we binged on it, but my daughter complained that it's no fun once you get behind. I disagree, but to a kid, feeling like you're behind in a 2-hour game is no fun.

Hey, question for you board gamers. What's a good game for 9 year old kids that can go in 30 minutes or so? Maybe a card-type game?

I agree with you about Catan. A friend is seriously into it, but he's the only one I've met so far who is.

For choosing a game, you could always use this flowchart. It's a bit old, but to make a quick decision and get the ball rolling, it's good enough.