View Single Post
Old 08-27-2019, 05:26 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intergalactic Gladiator View Post
AS someone who's lived through the Henry Burris, Kordell Stewart, Craig Krenzel, Chad Hutchinson, Jonathan Quinn, Todd Collins, Caleb Hanie, Jimmy Clausen, Mike Glennon years, I hear you.
Years? That was practically all in one season. Yeesh.

I think if you step away from just looking at wins and losses, the Bears and a few other teams have an interesting case. The Bears, for all their flaws, have some pretty cool "intangibles" to latch onto. They will always essentially be the granddaddy of of the league and only a relative few teams can trot out the legacy they can. Someone born in say 1970 wouldn't remember those great Halas teams, but they'd be part of the culture. Also, the Bears have a very clear identity that's been pretty continuous throughout their history, defense, bad weather, running backs, middle line backers and a bit of attitude without being petulant. Not a lot of change in their stadiums, uniforms and colors or ownership.

Tough to measure that stuff of course, but if that stuff affects your sense of "ownership" as it applies to your fan enjoyment beyond just the gameday thrill of winning it might be really important.

The Cowboys, while successful with several championship teams over the decades, are comparatively young and there's been a a few stretches where they just weren't likable.

The Steelers have a similar problem where I think even their own fans would admit they pushed the limits to the point of being dirty on the field and pretty unlikable off of it.

The Patriots suffer from almost universal dislike by non-fans, but I don't think that applies to their own fanbase much. But they've kinda been a one-hit wonder. They played way out in Foxboro, in a truly awful stadium back in the day. And then they totally revamped the ownership and designs making it almost feel like the Kraft era teams hove no relationship to the prior decades. Championships and 2 decades of utter dominance are great salves, but if you were to balance the first 20 years with the last 20 years it's a tale of two totally different experiences.

The Packers probably have the best combo of recent success combined with continuity and identity. The Green Bay thing is mostly an endearing quirk as opposed to a liability. You can hate Chicago, Boston, New York and Philly teams simply because you dislike their city and people on principle, but it's tough to have a strong opinion of Green Bay apart from how you feel about the team. The Packers have been around forever and have a pretty distinct character as a team, QB play and WRs, and have that whole Lombardi thing to latch onto. The worst part of being a Packers fan is probably dealing with all the fucking casuals that gravitate towards them.