View Single Post
Old 08-30-2019, 04:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanislaus View Post
The rules developed the same way rules develop in every other sport. Over time, as people play the game, rules are added and tweaked to keep it a) fair and b) interesting. Some are more complex. Some are simple. It's probably easier to help if you pick one or two you are having trouble with and we can try to explain them. I'm assuming, for example, that you're OK with the idea that batter is out if the ball is caught, or if the bowler hits the wickets. LBW might be trickier (and it is more complex) but it developed like this:

Back in the 18th century, cricket was played with a hard ball and no protective equipment. Bowlers tried to knock down the stumps, batters tried to defend them. It was open to batters to try to use their feet or legs rather than the bat to protect the stumps, but they didn't. The ball is hard, blows to the shin really hurt and tend to affect your ability to run.
However, just because batters didn't try to get their legs in the way of the ball didn't mean they didn't get hurt by accident. So they started wearing pads. Once they had pads, it became much less costly to block the ball with the body rather than the bat. So batters did. This made the game unfair and boring. So the governing body of cricket made a rule to the effect that you couldn't block the ball with your legs. There are some technicalities regarding where the ball bounces and where it makes contact with the batter, but all you really need to understand is that if the ball was going to hit the wicket but was blocked by the batters body, the batter is out.

But again, if you pick something you've seen but don't understand it'll be easier to explain a concrete example.
Thank you. I may do that. I truly want to understand this game. I enjoy watching on TV, but totally clueless about just everything about the whole game.