View Single Post
Old 09-04-2019, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colibri View Post
According to Wiki, the "Italian sandwich" was invented by an Italian-American in Maine in 1903. But I think you can go with the type of hero made in a typical New York Italian deli.

The basic ingredients would include:

-Long, crusty, "Italian bread" road (like a baguette)
-A variety of thinly sliced cold cuts, including Genoa salami, ham, capicola (Tony Soprano's "gabbagool"), maybe pepperoni, mortadella
-Provolone cheese (although the Maine version apparently uses American cheese)
-Lettuce, tomato, onion
-Dressing of olive oil, red wine vinegar, and maybe some oregano

Optional: roasted red peppers, sliced green peppers, sour pickle slices

It wouldn't have uncured meats like roast beef or turkey, bacon, mayonnaise, Swiss cheese, or many other ingredients found in other kinds of subs.
Here on Long Island, "a hero" generally refers to a 3-foot version and will come in either Italian or American flavors.

The Italian basically fits Colibri's description - I'd be surprised not to get salami and ham, and usually either pepperoni or cappicola. Mortadella would be more unusual. The cheese is always provolone, there's always lettuce, tomato, and onion, and a red wine vinegar dressing is served on the side. Peppers and pickles would be unusual here.

The alternative, the American, generally contains turkey, ham, and roast beef with American cheese, LTO, and mayo.

There are no other heros to speak of. Any other hero would be referred to by ingredients or a nickname - you might get The Lumberjack, which is hero-shaped and contains a fried chicken cutlet with American cheese and Russian dressing, but served on a garlic hero, but you wouldn't say "I'm having a hero for lunch."

However, the following conversation is entirely comprehensible:

"We're having a hero at the meeting."

"Oh, what kind?"

"Half and half."

It is then understood that your group has three feet of Italian and three feet of American sliced into around three-inch pieces, and some lucky or indecisive soul will get the overlap piece.