View Single Post
Old 09-06-2019, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamlet View Post
The long term signing, sure. But my prediction had more to do with Dak not ever being worth elite money. He's a perfectly serviceable NFL QB, who won't win games for you, but won't necessarily lose them for you either. Give him a tremendous O Line, a stud RB, a couple good pass catchers, and a solid defense, and you'll have the chance to make the playoffs and lose in the first or second round with him. Yippee!!!!
I dunno.

In the almost 20 years I've lived in the United States, I've watched my team win two Super Bowls: one with Trent Dilfer, and one with Joe Flacco. It seems to me that, if you can put the right personnel around them and get a little bit of the luck that any winning team needs, you can, in fact, go all the way with a "serviceable" quarterback.

But I guess we also have to consider what we mean when we describe a QB as "perfectly serviceable," in the context of the game, the position, and the talent pool. See below.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamlet View Post
And I don't buy into the "you must pay an average QB a ton of money" idea. Just cause some teams do it, doesn't make it a good idea.
I might be wrong here, but it seems to me that the thing to do here is not to compare the "average QB" to the absolute stars, but to the next level of talent below them. It might seem crazy to give someone like Prescott the same sort of money that Tom Brady or Aaron Rodgers makes, but there might be some logic to it given the possible alternatives.

The problem is, with such a specialized and absolutely crucial position, just having someone "serviceable," someone who's good enough to get out of his own way and not lose you games, might be worth paying all that money for, because without it, all the millions you're spending on that "tremendous O Line, a stud RB, a couple good pass catchers, and a solid defense" might well go to complete waste.

I don't claim to be a football genius. In terms of analyzing the game and its strategies and the relative value of personnel, I'm a rank amateur. I don't follow college ball at all, so I have no idea who's coming up, and I don't even really keep up with anyone who's not a regular starter. I'm far better at baseball, where I have more interest and more baseline knowledge of players and strategy.

But it's always seemed to me that the talent pool at QB is shallow enough that you can barely get one "perfectly serviceable" guy per team before you're descending into the realm of either untried rookies who just aren't ready for the speed of the NFL, or fringe guys who've been around a while but really aren't able to perform at the top level for weeks at a time.

As I said, I could be wrong. I'd be interested to know, from people who watch more football than I do, and especially from people who watch a lot of college ball, whether there might actually be a whole lot of "perfectly serviceable" QBs who never get a chance at the big time. Could a team like Dallas tell Prescott to take a hike and find a "perfectly serviceable" replacement for replacement-level money? My impression, from my limited reading and my limited understanding of the game beyond the NFL's starting roster, and from the way that alleged experts talk about quarterbacks, is that the answer is probably no.

One problem for the NFL, especially at QB, is that not only is QB an absolutely crucial position, but the season is so short. These things combine, it seems to me, to make it rather difficult for a team to experiment at the position, especially if the guy they've already got has shown that he can handle the top level in a "perfectly serviceable" way. You can run all the reps you want on the practice field, but you can't really know how good a new guy is going to be in the big time until you put him in there against a real NFL defense that's trying to kill him on every play. And if you already consider yourself to be competitive, you don't want to risk one of your 16 games trying to find out. So we're left in a situation where the teams most likely to dip into the grab-bag and take a shot on an untried QB are teams that are in some sort of rebuilding mode, or teams whose #1 starter has just torn an ACL or separated a shoulder.

Last edited by mhendo; 09-06-2019 at 08:46 AM.