View Single Post
Old 08-18-2019, 10:53 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thorny locust View Post
You'd effectively be telling the Old Order Mennonites, the Amish, and other Plain People that they aren't allowed to hire anybody.

Looks like a pretty sizeable burden to me.

And there are a lot of other people who have very limited Internet access, even if they want it.
There's already workarounds for that. It would be trivial to add e-verify to the list. There's plenty of things that are required to be submitted online but employers below a certain threshold (for employee count, income, tax due per period etc) are allowed to do in other ways or not do at all. I'm going to guess the Amish already either fit into one of those categories or they have outside help with this kind of thing and whoever does that would handle this as well. If Amish societies become the new refuge for illegal migrant workers, then we can work on that.

Quote:
If the undocumented labor force all disappeared, the rest of the country would be left with a really huge mess.
But we'd get back all those jobs they stole. There's unquestionably thousands of migrant workers that come up from Mexico to work in farms in Summer. If you crack down on that, all the people complaining that they took 'er jerbs, could go work there.

Quote:
Current facial recognition technology is also far from perfect. And it works less well if used on people who happen not to be white.
The OP mentioned biometrics, K9bfriender changed that to facial recognition. There's other types of biometrics. Finger prints and hand stamps, for example. Interestingly, someone I know added a handstamp time clock to his business and his employees wouldn't use it because they didn't want their fingerprints being taken. Understood. But to be clear these machines don't look at your fingerprints or even the bottom of your hand at all. They take a picture from above and use finger length and distance apart (IIRC) to set up a way to recognize you.