View Single Post
Old 12-01-2015, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dropzone View Post
is giving the class several days to forget what we learned before we are sat in front of new workstations and the phones are turned on.
Been there. I've been on major projects installing new computer systems for external companies where we performed "train the trainer" about 6 months before they got to use said new system. For those who may not be familiar with this concept, train the trainer means that we'll train a laughable tiny fraction of your staff and then they can then train the rest of your staff. It's a lovely concept that blithely ignores the fact that your "trainer" students are rarely experienced trainers, so if they do manage to pass on any information it's close to a miracle. And then the 6 month lead time allows people plenty of time to forget that little bit of knowledge they were able to glean.

My workplace rant is this:

I've noticed a trend in the last decade of my career: I start a job with all the enthusiasm of a new hire, and then around the 2-year mark I have learned enough about the company to fully understand why it's so screwed up. Case in point, the current gig. Although we do software development, we don't have any understanding of project management. Well, actually, our IT department does have some process and organization. They're fine.

But the product development team that I work on - all business analysts and other business folks, haven't a clue. We write a lot of documentation, from designs to software requirements to end user documentation. But because there's no concept of project management, our projects are very loosey goosey. There's no ownership of tasks let alone a whole project. Bob tells Sally it's her job to do $task. Sally disagrees, and whoever loses the argument gets to do $task. Sometimes Bob and Sally each think $task is theirs and then they fight over it. Sometimes Bob and Sally disagree strongly on what the best design is, but there's no owner to call the shots. In this case, they take it to each of their managers and then THEY argue. Eventually consensus might be reached, but if not then the project languishes. Projects start because upper management promises our external customers something, and then they toss it into the air and assume that it will get done.

When I suggested a little project management might be helpful I heard "we don't need nuna that, wut you need that fer, herp derp?"

Last edited by JcWoman; 12-01-2015 at 01:07 PM.