View Single Post
Old 02-15-2018, 05:48 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Euphrosyne View Post
One test for claims of religious exemption from providing certain services to certain couples (interracial couples; LG couples, or other couples) would be for the State to discover whether there are specific verses in the relevant Sacred text that expressly forbid a particular way of relating (sexually) to one another. Or whether there are verses specifically, expressly forbidding certain people marrying one another.

The relevant Sacred texts would be the Old and New Testament in the case of Christians; the Koran in the case of Muslims; the Torah in the case of Jews, and whatever additional sacred texts that the religious body categorically include as authoritative.
But this is a terrible and unfair idea. What about non-Abrahamic religions, who don't emphasize their books as much? What about neopagans, Wiccans, animists, who don't have a sacred book at all? And what about atheists who nonetheless have a strong conscience--is the fact that I can't point to a supernatural source for my conscience going to disqualify my conscience from government recognition?

And even if we had this test, you'd be out of luck, as no translation of the Bible has "verses specifically, expressly forbidding" baking a wedding cake for a gay couple. (In fact, I'm unaware of any Biblical verse that is "specifically, expressly forbidding" gay marriage--but given that nobody is being compelled to enter into a gay marriage, that's a tangent).

This test not only shouldn't be the main determinant: it has no role whatsoever in determining governmental relationship to religion.