View Single Post
Old 07-28-2009, 04:20 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffy View Post
Yes, he's a nice old man who knows how to read the real estate section of the paper. I don't understand why you think it's any sort of coup de grace. The house wasn't free or anything. You think on any given weekend you couldn't find at least one house for sale in the greater metro New York area with a swing in the back?
Considering the fact that he had no way to get to the house, yes. Kris didn't drive, and he was only available to get there the night after the trial, when there was no one available to drive him (the characters were all with family).

Since he left his cane -- it's too much a coincidence otherwise -- he had to physically be in the house. Kris did not have a car -- it was specifically mentioned he took a train into the city before he moved in with Fred.

Further, Kris wanted to make sure Susan and Doris believed in him. He did not fully get that confirmation until Christmas morning, when Doris said* "I was wrong when I told you that, Susie. You must believe in Mr. Kringle and keep right on doing it. You must have faith in him." His wanted Susan to believe in make believe and miracles; Susan did not until then. If he had gone to the house on Christmas Eve (even though logistically impossible), he would have given her the house without her believing in Santa.

*Her note on Susan's letter was "I believe in you," not "I believe in Santa." Major difference.